Thursday, August 27, 2009

Spontanious Trip to San Fran

I have a dog walking duty during most days now. I am covering for a girl who does it full time here in the RV park, but she's in Carmel this weekend. (I guess all those times I watched Audrey has paid off) So, after I walked Chole, I thought, "Hum... I am going to San Fran today." So, I got in my car and went to the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) and took a 40 min ride into Fisherman's Wharf. This was my second trip to San Fransisco. I went in 2005 when I went to visit Amber & Jason in Sacramento. I knew exactly what I wanted to do today, so you know what, I did it. My first stop, Ghirardelli Square. Hahahaha... yes, for a brownie chocolate sundae with carmel syrup and whip cream. This place is heaven for anyone who loves sweets ( Hello! *pointing at myself*). I then just decided to spend the rest of the day people watching and hanging out. I had planned on going to Golden Gate Park and walking across the Bridge, but due to time constraints... maybe next time. I had a lovely time watching those crazy people (without wet suites) swim in that San Fran Bay. I mean, "Why?" I walked around the beach area and then down a long pier to take the whole city in. I could see Coit Tower (Telegraph Hill), most of the downtown buildings, Ghirardelli and the Golden Gate Bridge all from where I stood. It was a beautiful day, too, a record high for San Fransisco - near 80. It's usually a cool 60s. I even stopped by a street vendor and bought some pretty red earrings from a Chiense woman. She made them herself! They are my new favs! I rode a few streetcars to get to and fro, then ate an early dinner of a clam chowder bread bowl. I enjoyed the day! It's a great feeling when you live in a place where you can just hop in your car and be somewhere totally different in an hour or less. My next day trip planned: A return to Wine Country: Napa and Sonoma. That may have to be after my HWY 1 trip, which is turning out to be my most anticipated trip yet due to some friends who have been on the same route and told me some great things to see.
Here are my pictures from the day (helpful hint, if you want to see the pictures bigger, just click on them):

My frist stop! Doesn't the sky look beautiful! It was the most perfect summer day!


Oh yes! There's a brownie in there somewhere. Unfortunately, I only ate 1/3 of this $9 sundae.


I must work on my posture! Good grief! Alcatraz behind me. (a German man took this, I knew someone would ask)


Fisherman's Wharf. There were little stands everywhere through here with fresh crab sandwiches, shrip sandwhiches and chowders.


Other end of Fisherman's Wharf. See all those people standing in line? They want their clam chowder now!


Cute little boats.


The ultimate tourist shot in San Fran!


Just me with GGB behind. It's a beautiful thing to see.


These crazy swimmers in sub 60 degree water WITHOUT wetsuites. Makes some of you feel like idiots, huh? Seems like it was a swim club out there ... there was about 31 of them out there, I know because I counted. (I didn't waste my time counting!)


Cutest little boy ever! Just a-running around with no pants on. He was just so happy, too.


I really liked this scene. The Golden Gate Bridge in the background, swimmer's arms just a-swimming, kids running around, sailboats. It was a perfect summer day.


Just a taste of what San Fran streets are like. STRAIGHT UP. Three years ago, Amber & I walked up them. Today, I skipped it, although after that sundae I should have ran up them.


This cost me $6.95. Clam Chowder Bread Bowl. Well worth it. I stood in line for this with all those other fools.


Final shot of the day. I was about to go under into the BART and saw this before my eyes... a streetcar coming down the hill into the city. I thought it looked neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment