Sunday, August 9, 2009

1,200 Miles Later

I left Birmingham around 6:45am on Saturday. I left the Magic City seeing several friends on their long run through Homewood. It was nice seeing some familiar faces so early in the morning as I left on my big trip, (Phil, Pam, Tom & Micki).

It took exactly 12 hours to get from Birmingham to Houston. It was a smooth drive until I hit Houston traffic (sigh). I made it to Julie & David's around 7:30. We went to eat at Lupe Tortilla, which was great! They had these HUGE hand-made tortillas. We had some great beef fajitas. Julie & I grew up going to school together from 3rd grade until we graduated high school. It was great to spend some time with her and meet her husband.

I then left Houston around 7AM to make it to El Paso, TX. I totally pulled a "Jason Keenum." I had no clue El Paso is on Mountain Time. I thought I got here at 6PM CST, but really, it was just 5PM. If I could have cancelled my hotel reservation I would have kept driving some, but just decided to stay. I need to rest. These long days of driving will eventually get to me. So, today, I drove 11 hours.

Driving through TX hasn't been that exciting. Once I started getting closer to Mexico the terrain definitely changed a lot. It was amazing to see. The land is so flat and the mountains are huge. I watched several sand storms and rain storms pass by, it was so cool to see. I am now looking out my window into Mexico, that's how close I am. No lie. I can see the flag waving, so odd.

I am leaving tomorrow to make my way to Flagstaff, AZ. I will drive through southern NM and all the way up the lovely state of AZ. I am going to meet up with McWane, a pal from the Trak Shak this summer. We are going to Slide Rock to do some swimming, Sedona and a few other areas. Memi would be excited to hear I will be visiting one of Frank Lloyd Wright's monuments. :)

My route may be altered a little. It may be extended by a day. I am going to see the Grand Canyon on Tuesday then head into Vegas to stay with Uncle Tom. I'm quite excited about that visit, I haven't seen him in many years. From Vegas I will drive 12 hours to San Jose by way of Yosemite. I have a *feeling* I will want to stop many times in Yosemite, so I may stay a night there... or it may just take 15 hours to get to San Jose. We'll see what happens. Either way, I'm obviously not pressed for time to get back to anywhere, so I'm just going to enjoy the trip as it comes to me.

I can honestly say I am still so happy that I am doing this. I wake up excited each morning ready to get on the road and see new things. It's been odd being by myself, but I don't know that I'd want it any other way. It's given me time to think a lot and even catch up on the phone with some old friends. Thanks to everyone who has called to check in, texted to see where I am and said a little prayer for me.

I think that bed is calling my name... :)

Here's a picture of what it looks like here. I told you. Boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment