Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Need for Adventure

I believe it was two years ago when I started wondering, "Is this really all life is?" I said that as I did my daily routine of waking up, getting ready for work, going to work, waiting on 5pm so I get out of work. I am sure I am not the only one who has ever thought that.

A good friend of mine gave me a book to read on my journey out to CA. I must say, it's now one of my favorite books, "Into the Wild." On the inside cover he wrote to me a wonderful quote that I often turn to just to read. I had already decided to leave Birmingham when I read this and it affirmed what I was doing. It made me feel like what I was about to do was 110% the right decision. Here's the quote....

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservation, all of which may appear to give one piece of mind, but in reality, nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our own encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new a different sun."

I still feel like what I did was the right decision. I have been so lucky to have met so many people here who are so willing to help me find a job. I feel like when you see an open door, take it, and things will eventually fall into place.

It's odd how I haven't thought of Birmingham once while being here. It's just so new out here, so many things to do and see. I miss all of my friends, but the thought of returning to Birmingham has not once crossed my mind. I know I'd just return to all the old things in Birmingham I'd grown used to, and sometimes you're just ready to get out and ready for new things and new adventures. Maybe I'm not that different from Chris McCandless and Everett Ruess. When I was in Yosemite, all I wanted to do was just sit there and stare off into the distance for hours. Both of them had explored that same area. Afterall, most of my trip out here did involve the same exact areas they once explored, while also, being all by myself. (If you don't know who they are, wikipedia them.)

2 comments:

  1. Yea! I am glad you aren't having reservations about your decision! I have read the book and watched the movie - I think I cried equally bad in both. Just don't be a tool and not contact your loved ones! ha! Keep us updated on the job search and more pictures of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,
    I finally found the time to read through your blog and I'm so glad I did. What an amazing trip you took and now you can do whatever you want with your life.
    It's still taking time to sink in for me that if we don't want to get up every day and trudge off to an office and watch the clock till 5pm we don't have to. There are so many more options out there.
    Keep adventuring, I'm going to keep reading.
    -Dan
    http://www.dangrec.com

    ReplyDelete