Sunday, September 6, 2009

We've been on the run, driving in the sun, looking out for number 1

I thought a good quote from a famous song about CA would get you in the mood to read this. Now, can you guess what this song is? :) (looking out for number 1 means the HWY)

The Pacific Coast Highway spans from the northern most tip of Washington state down to the Mexican border. I did the portion of Carmel down to San Diego.

My first day I stopped along the highway many times to take some pictures. I stopped off at a private beach in Big Sur, (which was amazing). I then drove to Moonstone Beach in Cambria to have lunch. A friend here mentioned it to me and told me to stop there. It was a nice break and I had a great view of the ocean. I then trekked on to Santa Barbara. It's such a beautiful city! Spanish-style houses everywhere, golden sand beaches, sail boats, mountains, it was beautiful. Priceline worked well for me there, so I was happy with my hotel. It was right on the beach. I got out, walked around the town and up and down State Street, which is the main area. They had closed down two blocks and had a farmer's market going on. I ended up having dinner at Brophy's, which is in the Harbor. I sat next to some nice people from LA who were trying to escape the fire for the week. It was a nice stop for the night.

Big Sur area. It was beautiful.


Beautiful. The fog rolls in at night and stays until mid-morning. Seems to be that way in most of CA.


There were breath-taking views along every turn on this highway.


Somwhere along HWY 1.


Santa Barbara Courthouse. It was just lovely!


Santa Barbara Mission. The oldest of the Missions in all of CA. The El Camino Real (it's a highway, an old one) connects all of them together.


Santa Barbara


Santa Barbara Harbor as the moon came out.

2 comments: